[signoff icon=”icon-cloud”]Listen to this article:
A positive self-image is one of the most powerful tools you possess to turn an out-of-control life into one roaring with self-confidence and success. Sometimes it’s difficult to get and maintain a positive self-image if you’ve had a childhood that reads like a Dickens novel and made mistakes in your adult life that are hard to forget.
It’s been psychologically proven that your quality of self-esteem determines the health of your personality. How much you like yourself determines how you behave and how effective you are in every area of your life. Self-image is powerful and can make or break future successes.
Controlling your life and developing peak performance for effectiveness in everything you do is dependent on the following:
- Know your values and live them Living a life that isn’t honoring your values and deepest beliefs isn’t living life at all. Cheating on tests, a relationship or at work are sure ways to devalue yourself and feel out of control. Determine what’s really important to you, and then live accordingly.
- Manage your time wisely Nothing makes you feel out of control more than missing deadlines and being non-productive. Of course, you need to plan down time when you read a book or just relax, but manage your time responsibly to foster a good opinion of yourself and put you more in control.
- Be clear about what you want When you know exactly what your current goals and objectives are, you’re more able to carry out the tasks to reach them. You’ll also have more self-respect from knowing that you’re doing a good job.
- Don’t underestimate yourself You’ll never rise to what you can really be if you consistently underestimate yourself. When your life is organized and when you have the time you need to focus on priorities plus have discretionary time to devote to your personal pursuits, you see yourself as more in control of your life.
- Focus, focus, focus When you put your heart and soul to each thing you’re doing you’re more in control and do a better job. Multitasking is just a bad habit you learn and you can accomplish a lot more when you take life one step at a time and focus on the task at hand.
If you find your life getting out of control, whether it’s too much work and less personal time or the other way around; bring balance back into your life. When your life is balanced, you feel much more in control and can meet the unexpected happenings in your life with a better attitude and more success.
Self-image is more important than you may have previously thought. For more in-depth advice on self-image, see our other articles and resources.