You probably first heard of a “bucket list” (a list of things you want to do before you die) after watching the movie, “The Bucket List” with Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman. Wouldn’t it be nice to have your own bucket list?
If you’ve been putting it off, maybe now is the time to put pen to paper (or use your computer) and start your list. Doing the things you’ve always wanted to do, but never got around to, can be incredibly fulfilling!
Inspiration for Generating Your Own Bucket List
Let your mind go. Give yourself the freedom to think about all the things you’ve always dreamed of doing. Then write them down.
Take a look at these sample bucket list items to find inspiration for your own list of things to fulfill before you “kick the bucket.”
1. Travel to Tuscany to take cooking lessons.
2. Learn how to knit or do woodcarving.
3. Re-read, “War and Peace” and “Great Expectations.”
4. Volunteer for a mission in Haiti.
5. Go a whole week without television.
6. Take your sister on a surprise trip.
7. Go to a musical on Broadway in New York City.
8. Give a $50 bill to someone who looks like they need it on Christmas Eve.
9. Tell your high school English teacher how he made a major impact on your life.
10. Write a letter to a soldier.
11. Hike at least part of the Appalachian Trail in the U.S.
12. Visit all the state capitals in your country.
13. Learn the Japanese language.
14. Camp out overnight in the back yard with your children.
15. Fly first class just once.
16. Get down to your goal weight to see what it feels like.
17. Take a vacation alone to a place you’ve always wanted to go.
18. Go on a road trip with your family.
19. Spend a week at a health spa.
20. Go vegan for a month.
21. Cook every recipe in your favorite cookbook.
22. Take those guitar lessons you’ve always wanted to get around to.
23. Walk 2 miles a day five days a week for three months.
24. Learn to operate a sailboat and then go sailing.
25. Tell your brother he’s the best brother in the whole world.â€¨
Free yourself to daydream. Include your greatest fantasies. Think about what you’ve always wanted to do – take trips to your favorite destinations, experience something you’ve only read about, or accomplish something of substance in your life.
Fulfilling the Items on Your Bucket List
After you’ve made the list, the only thing to do is go for it. Each week or month, strive to carry out an item on your Bucket List. Then, cross it off your list. You can add to your list as you think of other activities you’d like to do before you’re no longer on this earth.
There’s nothing like a bucket list to remind you what it’s like to really experience everything life has to offer. You’ll become infused with energy and excitement at the idea of achieving another activity on your bucket list. And you’ll go through experiences that you never thought you would, just by having a bucket list.
Start your bucket list today. Doing the things you’ve always wanted to do will inspire you to live your very best life. With your bucket list, you might be compelled to discover an existence you’ve only fantasized about.